Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

MY FAVORITE COIN DESIGNS

As a coin collector, I've seen a lot of different coin designs. Here's some of my favorites:



1: $20 St. Gaudens Gold Piece: Universally called the most beautiful design, but there are a
lotta people who will say that The Walking Liberty Half is.

2: Walking Liberty Half: See above. Love that obverse!


3: Peace Dollar: Love that Eagle on the Mountain reverse!


4: Standing Liberty Quarter: I've given this coin a nickname: "The Janet Jackson Coin"
because of a "wardrobe malfunction" (for those non collectors readign this, on the 1916 issue
of this coin, one of Ms. Liberty's boobs are sticking out. Later issues had it covered with
armor.

5: Frankin Half Dollar: Just a great overall design.


My Favorite Paper Money design is the 1918 $2 Federal Reserve Bank Note. That Battleship
on the back gets me both as a collector and a navy buff.


I have a couple foreign coin designs too that I really like:


Reverse of the British Gold Soverign: Pistrucci's rendering of St. George Vs. the Dragon still
looks good after 200 years.

Voyageur reverse of the old Canadian silver dollars. The 2 guys rowing a canoe by and island with the Northern Lights in the background really sharp.


Any comments from you collectors out there?

No comments: