Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Losing My Religion

For 11 years, I've been a Christian, but over the past few month's, I've started becoming quite disillusioned.   To me, it seems like Christianity is being taken over by extremists who try to use God's word for their own purposes.  You have the Jerry Falwells and Pat Robertsons of the world who stir up hate and conflict.  As an example, right after the 911 attacks, Robertson said it was because the US tolerates gays, abortion, and feminists.  There were 3,000 killed on that day. Tell me friends, how many of those that died do you think were associated  with any of those activities?  I really don't think that God would allow thousands of innocents to die to make some sick point.  Also, the extremists have also worked their way into the US. Government, and are making policy based on religion and not the US Constitution or national laws.  The Iraq war is a good example of that, I don't think I need to elaborate on that much more, hopefully you all have kept abreast of events the past few years.  I remember in 2004, a minister kicked several members of his church out for voting for John Kerry.  That is intolerable to me, as it takes away one of the most fundamental rights we as Americans have: The right to vote for whoever we want, without fear of retribution. If my Pastor ever made that demand of my, I would quit the church immediately!  

Another thing that gets on my nerves is the way that some  “so called” Christians berate other faiths.  Didn't Jesus preach humility?  Thinking that your faith is superior to others and that those that are members of another religion are trash is hardly a display of humility! I could never do that.   I respect every person, no matter what their religion, race, or nationality.  So...my faith is getting quite strained.

2 comments:

Fedor said...

Lose religion, yes I recommend, but faith no, Jesus never talked about Religion, but about faith, love towards one another, humility to oneself, and following the path that he has created for us.

People who call themselves Christians, should be ashamed, because real Christians are humble, and don't have the nerve to say they are Christian, because they are worried that they would boast and set a bad example.

I asked a woman I met on a plane what was her first thought when she heard "christian" she said, "arrogant, judgemental, hypocrticial people." I hope one day we can change this, because this is not what Jesus intended it to be.

Hope you find your way. :)

Anonymous said...

You're right. Christian is, unfortunately, becoming a dirty word. Satan has clearly used Christendom to spread hate and lies and tarnish the name of the true God.

But he is still there and his truth is still there. It's a matter of asking him to reveal it to you. Then when he does show you.. pay close attention that you do not miss it.